Monday, June 16, 2014

Blackberry Tree

Earlier in the year I tied some blackberry canes up to a dogwood tree in the backyard to give them some support. Now they are beginning to ripen and it's like having a blackberry tree.

I was picking some this afternoon and it reminded me of a time that I was with my grandparents. We were out at the airport and on the way back my grandaddy saw some blackberries growing along side a barbwire fence. At the time he was a multi-millionaire and we were in an expensive Buick but he didn't hesitate to pull right off on the side of the road and all three of us hopped out and started picking blackberries right there.

When I was a kid we spent most of our time in the woods and we always found blackberries and blueberries. I would eat as many blackberries as I could pick. Sometimes I would collect enough to take home so that they could make a cobbler. It's been quite awhile since I've had any blackberry cobbler. Maybe that will change this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment